Information About Us
https://rethinkingschools.org is a site operated by Rethinking Schools, a 501c3 (EIN 39-1696524) registered in Milwaukee WI.
We are committed to maintaining the privacy of your personal information. The following policy explains our information collection practices, privacy policies and the choices available to you with regard to how your information is collected and utilized.
If you have any queries about this Policy or how we use your personal information, please contact us using the details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Information We Collect and How We Collect It
- Personal information that you provide to us, including, but not limited to, your name, age, address, e-mail address, phone number, credit card number, scanned copies of checks and facts about your background, profession, veteran status, political affiliation, gender, and similar information.
- Information regarding your interaction with our Sites, including, but not limited to, your IP address, device type, geographic location information, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from our Sites, and web log information.
- Information you provide to us through community discussions, member information pages, e-mails, chats, dispute resolution, or information you share with us through other social applications or websites.
- Commercial information, including purchasing habits, marital status. and records of personal property.
To know what personal information is collected on you specifically or to delete that personal information, you may submit a request by contacting email@example.com.
Why We Collect this Information
We collect this information for the purposes set out in the section How We Use the Information We Collect. The lawful basis for which we process your information is:
- your consent;
- processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party. If you fail to provide this information we may be unable to perform the contract; and
- processing is necessary for the purpose of the legitimate interest pursued by us, except where your rights as a data subject override our legitimate interest or the legitimate interest of that third party.
How We Use the Information We Collect
- For the purposes for which you specifically provided the information including, for example, to enable us to process, validate and verify order or subscriptions or to process your donations.
- To send you e-mail notifications about our products, services and special offers, or to otherwise contact you. We will only use your personal information for electronic marketing purposes if we are allowed to do this by law or if we have your consent. If you agree to us providing you with marketing information, you can always opt out at a later date. If you would rather not receive marketing material from us, please let us know at any time using the contact details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To enhance existing features or develop new features, products and services.
Sharing Your Information
- If required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to conform to the edicts of the law or comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process or to protect and defend the rights or property of Rethinking Schools.
- We may need to provide your information to our contractors and suppliers who provide services on our behalf, to the extent necessary to enable you to receive those services. Further details are set in the paragraph on “Agents” under Preserving the Privacy of Your Information.
How Long We Keep Your Information For
We keep your information for no longer than is necessary. We will retain your information for any period required by law. Where we are not under a legal obligation to retain your information, we will determine what is necessary by reference to the lawful basis for processing set out above and our legitimate interests.
Preserving the Privacy of Your Information
We endeavor to safeguard and protect your personal information. When you submit personal information on our Sites, such information is protected both online and offline. Only employees and supervisors with specific authorization have access to databases containing visitors’ personal information. The databases are protected in a secure facility and credit card information is transmitted via encrypted technology.
E-mail Addresses: Except as may be required by law, or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process, we will not share your e-mail address with third parties, although we reserve the right to present you with advertisements on their behalf.
Subscription Lists: In accordance with standard industry practice, we may rent, exchange or sell to third parties mailing address information you provide us when ordering a subscription to our print publication, Rethinking Schools. If you based in the USA, we adhere strictly to the Direct Marketing Association’s Ethical Business Practices. For information about these practices, visit the Direct Marketing Association’s site at www.dmaresponsibility.org. If you are based in the EU, we adhere to the following procedures whenever we buy marketing lists:
- we do not use bought-in lists for texts or emails unless we have proof of opt-in consent within the last six months that specifically named us;
- the products or services we are marketing are the same or similar to those that you originally consented to receiving marketing for;
- we only use the information on the lists for marketing purposes;
- when marketing by post or email we include our company name, address and telephone number in the content;
- we provide you with our privacy notice.
We will not sell a marketing list to a third party unless we can verify that the people on the list:
- gave specific consent to receive marketing from the third party;
- were provided with readily accessible, clear and intelligible information about how their contact details would be used;
- were offered a clear and genuine choice whether or not to have their details used for marketing purposes;
- took positive action to indicate their consent;
- gave their consent reasonably recently (within six months of selling the list);
- in the case of texts or emails, gave specific consent to receive marketing by those means.
Agents: We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include fulfilling orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments and providing customer service. These agents have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but are contractually prohibited from using it for other purposes.
How to Opt-Out: For all subscribers, including California and Nevada residents: if you would like to opt-out of any data exchange, you may do so by contacting us via email at: email@example.com. You may also call: 1-800-669-4192.
Links: Our Sites may contain links to other sites whose privacy practices may differ from ours. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of each website. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such sites.
Order Forms: Our Sites may use an order form for customers to subscribe to a publication or other services or to purchase certain items. We may collect visitors’ contact information (like postal and e-mail addresses). Contact information from the order form is used to send orders to our customers, or to send e-mail newsletters that they have requested. Users may opt out of receiving future mailings; see the “Opting Out and Contacting Us” section below.
Public Forums: Our Sites may make chat rooms, forums, message boards and/or news groups available to their users. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and that information can be collected and used by others besides Rethinking Schools. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third party’s use of information that you disclose online.
Children’s Privacy Statement
Our Sites are intended for adults and are not intended for children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 and therefore do not knowingly distribute such information to third parties. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personally identifiable information from a user under the age of 13, we will delete such information from our records.
California Privacy Rights
California law provides that we are required to disclose to our California customers, upon request, the identity of any third parties to whom we have disclosed personal information within the previous calendar year, along with the type of personal information disclosed, for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes.
If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites with which the user communicates. We do honor “do-not-track” signals.
Google Analytics Features
In order to, among other things, better understand how visitors interact with the Sites, we utilize Google Analytics Features.
Users may learn more about data privacy and security safeguards associated with these services, including available means of opting-out of such services, here.
Among other things, these services provide aggregate, non-personally identifiable data that may enable us to personalize advertising content for you. Users may learn more about data privacy and security safeguards associated with these services, including available means of opting-out of such services, here.
Correct/Update Your Information
Our Sites give users the following options for changing and modifying information previously provided. To opt-out of Rethinking Schools emails, change your e-mail address on file, or otherwise adjust your preferences, click here to contact us. You can also opt-out of Rethinking Schools emails or adjust your preferences from any e-mail communication from Rethinking Schools. For changes, including renewals and address changes, to your subscription to our print publication, Rethinking Schools, click here to contact us.
Changes to This Statement
To opt-out of any promotional e-mail, based on information you provided to us through one of our Sites, email us at email@example.com.
If you have created an account with us, you can sign into your account to access and update your information.
You have a right to ask us to confirm whether we are processing information about you, and to request access to this information (‘right of access’).
You may ask us, or we may ask you, to rectify information you or we think is inaccurate, and you may also ask us to remove information which is inaccurate or complete information which is incomplete (‘right to rectification’). If you inform us that your personal data is inaccurate, we will inform relevant third parties with whom we have shared your data so they may update their own records.
We want to ensure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. If any of the information that you have provided us with changes, for example if you change your email address, name, payment details, or if you wish to cancel your registration, please let us know using the contact details at the end of this policy.
You have a right to obtain your personal data from us and reuse it for your own purposes, perhaps for another service, without hindering the usability of the data (‘right of portability’). This right does not apply where processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us.
You have a right to seek the erasure of your data (often referred to as the ‘right to be forgotten’). You may wish to exercise this right for any reason, for example where it is no longer necessary for us to continue holding or processing your personal data you may withdraw your consent. You should note that we are entitled to and reserve the right to retain your data for statistical purposes. This right is not absolute, as we may need to continue processing this information, for example, to comply with our legal obligations, or for reasons of public interest.
You have a right to ask us to restrict our processing of your information (‘right to restriction’) if:
- you contest its accuracy and we need to verify whether it is accurate
- the processing is unlawful and you ask us to restrict use of it instead of erasing it
- we no longer need the information for the purpose of processing, but you need it to establish or defend legal claims
- you have objected to processing of your information being necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest, or for the purposes of our legitimate interests. The restriction would apply while we carry out a balancing act between your rights and our legitimate interests.
- you exercise your right to restrict processing, we would still need to process your information for the purpose of exercising or defending legal claims, protecting the rights of another person or for public interest reasons.
You have a right to prevent us from processing your data for the purposes of marketing.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights above, please let us know using the contact details at the end of this policy. We will act in accordance with your instructions as soon as reasonably possible and there will be no charge.
You have a right to report any of your concerns about our use of your data to the supervisory authority in your relevant country.
6737 W. Washington Street
Milwaukee, WI 53214
Last updated in May 2021.