U.S. Sanctions on Iraq
For more information
- The Children Are Dying, by former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark and available through the International Action Center, 39 W. 14th St., #206, New York, NY 10011, 212-633-6646, fax: 212-633-2889.
- “Fighting for the Truth,” “The Gulf War and Our Students,” by Bill Bigelow, Rethinking Schools, Vol. 5, No. 3. Bigelow, a high school social studies teacher in Portland, writes about ways to teach about the Gulf War. Although the article was written during the 1991 conflict, it provides a way to look at the ongoing issues. Available through the Rethinking Schools Online order page.
- American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC), 4201 Connecticut Ave., NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20008, 202-244-2990; fax: 202-244-3196. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Web site: www.adc.org. A civil rights organization committed to defending the rights of people of Arab descent and promoting their rich cultural heritage.
- Education for Peace in Iraq Center (EPIC)., 747 10th St., SE, #2, Washington, DC 20003, 202-543-6176. E-mail: EPICenter@igc.org. EPIC works to change U.S. foreign policy and raise public awareness to support human rights for the people of Iraq and peace in the Middle East.
- Iraq Action Coalition — http://leb.net/IAC/ This web site has dozens of reader-friendly fact sheets, press releases, poems, eye-witness reports, answers to commonly asked questions, information about legislation and political actions, and a comprehensive list of links.
- Middle East Research and Information Project (MERIP), 1500 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20005, 202-223-3677, Website: www.merip.org. The MERIP magazine has developed a reputation for independent analysis of events and developments in the Middle East.
- Voices in the Wilderness, 1460 W. Carmen Ave., Chicago, IL 60640, 773-784-8065, E-mail: email@example.com; website: www.nonviolence.org/vitw. Voices in the Wilderness organizes delegations to Iraq to bring medical relief and to provide support for the Iraqi people. The web site includes information about the sanctions, recent news and alerts, and many useful links.