My Social and Emotional Skills
- I need to feel excited and comfortable about starting kindergarten.
- I need to know what kindergarten will be like.
- I need to feel good about myself.I need to get along with others.
- I need to know how to talk with others and to listen.
How I Learn
- I need to be excited about learning.
- I need to learn to try things and keep trying even when it seems hard.
- I need many ways to express myself.
- I need to feel good about my family and culture, and to learn about other cultures.
Using Words and Numbers
- I need to be familiar with words and books.
- I need to know shapes, sizes, and colors.
- I need to learn to count and understand that numbers have meaning.
Support My Family, Culture, and Language
- I need my school to welcome my family.
- My family and I want all the grownups at my school to know and respect my culture, my learning style, and my family’s needs.
Keep Me Safe and Healthy
- I need to be safe and feel safe.
- I need to have bathroom and self-help skills.
- I need to be able to use my hands and fingers to do small tasks.
- I need to be able to use my arms, legs, and body to make big movements.
- I need to have my basic needs met before I come to school each day.
Communication Among the Grownups in My Life
- My school experience will be best if my early childhood educators, kindergarten teachers, school staff, parents, and family members work together to help me learn.
- I need my family to know what is happening at my school, what I am learning, and what I am expected to know.