Rethinking Bilingual Education is an exciting new collection of articles about bringing students’ home languages into our classrooms.
For almost two decades, teachers have looked to Reading, Writing, and Rising Up as a trusted text to integrate social justice teaching in language arts classrooms.
Teaching is a lifelong challenge, but the first few years in the classroom are typically a teacher’s hardest.
Frequently Asked Questions about E-books
What is an e-book?
An e-book, or electronic book, is a digital version of a print book. Rethinking Schools e-books are currently available as PDFs, and we intend to make them available in MOBI and ePUB formats in the future. You can read e-books on your computer, mobile device, or e-reader. If you are using an e-reader, make sure you have downloaded the appropriate software.
What are the differences among the e-book formats?
There are various formats that different e-book readers and computer systems support. Many Rethinking Schools titles are, or will soon be, available in one of these three formats:
- PDF – The most common digital format for e-books, created by Adobe Systems for their Acrobat Reader, is compatible with the Nook, Sony Reader, Kindle, and iPad, as well as with Windows and Mac computers. For educators who wish to print out the lesson plans for use in educational settings, the PDF version may be the most useful, since PDF files are created to match the page size of print. But for smaller screens, the PDF version may not provide the best reading experience.
- MOBI – This format was designed for PDAs (personal digital assistants), and is currently supported by the Kindle.
- ePUB – This format, based on an open standard, is readable by virtually all e-readers, including the Sony Reader, Kindle, Nook, and the iPad.
Why would I want to read an e-book?
You can begin reading your e-books immediately after download. You can store multiple e-books on your computer, mobile device, or e-reader. Gone are the days of lugging a backpack weighted down by your print books. Rethinking Schools allows you to store your book on multiple devices so access is never a problem. These eco-friendly formats are also searchable, making it easy for you to quickly locate the passage or phrases you are looking for.
What software do I need to read a Rethinking Schools e-book?
You need an updated version of Adobe Reader to read Rethinking Schools e-books on your laptop, mobile device, or e-reader. If you don’t have an updated version, download a free update here. To test your software, download a sample PDF.
How do I download a Rethinking Schools e-book?
- After putting the products in your cart and proceeding through the checkout, you will receive an "Order Confirmation" email from firstname.lastname@example.org, containing a download link to click.
- When you click the link, your computer will begin the process of downloading the e-book's file. Your computer will ask you if you would like to save the file.
- When you confirm, be sure to keep track of where the file is saved on your computer, so that you can open it later or import the file into your digital reading device or software.
Once I purchase an e-book from Rethinking Schools, will it always be available?
Yes. Once you've purchased the book, it’s yours. You can load the book to your computer, mobile device, and/or e-reader, and read it at any time. The download link will be available for 30 days, but we recommend you load the e-book to your own device as soon as possible following your purchase.
Can I share my e-book with friends and colleagues?
No, you may not share your e-book with anyone else. Sharing an e-book is not like sharing a print book. When you share a print book with a friend, you still have only one copy. Sharing an e-book actually duplicates the e-book, which violates copyright law and deprives Rethinking Schools of revenue we would earn from the second, unsold copy of the book. Rethinking Schools is a small, independent nonprofit publisher. We rely on customers’ purchases and donors’ generosity to continue operating.
Can I print my e-book?
You may print one complete copy of your e-book for your own personal use. However, buying the print book rather than printing your e-book also provides you with a better reading experience.
For educational purposes, individuals may print out excerpts or lesson plans for use in educational settings, as long as such material is furnished free to the students or workshop participants.
How do I read Rethinking Schools e-books on my e-reader?
The following vendors have step-by-step instructions on their websites about how to load an e-book to your device and begin reading:
If you have trouble loading a Rethinking Schools e-book to your device, please contact customer service.
What is your return policy for e-books?
We do not accept returns for e-books that have been successfully downloaded. If you have concerns about your purchase, please contact customer service at 1-800-669-4192, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST, or e-mail email@example.com
How do I get help if I have a problem ordering or downloading an e-book?
If your question has not been addressed here, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your question within 24 hours. If you prefer to speak with a customer service representative, please call us at 1-800-669-4192, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST. If you call after business hours, please leave a message, and we will return your call the next business day.